What if the patient isn't satisfied with my efforts to resolve a complaint?

Most complaints can be resolved locally at practice-level, and our guide to the local resolution complaints procedure gives some advice on how best to respond.

However, if a local resolution really isn't possible, you should explain how complainants can take matters further. If the complaint relates to NHS treatment, complainants can take their case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Dental Complaints Service deals with unresolved complaints about private treatment.

This page was correct at publication on 14/04/2022. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.