Is it my responsibility to take things further if no action is taken when I raise a concern?

It's your responsibility to follow up your concerns until you get a satisfactory response, so be clear about the outcome you expect and log the action you have taken to date. If nothing happens, find out and follow the procedure for escalating concerns internally.

If the issue affects other colleagues, consider canvassing their views if you haven't already. A joint approach could strengthen your case.

If your workplace still does not address your concerns, you can refer the matter to the local area team, the Care Quality Commission or (if you are worried about an individual dental professional) the GDC.

It is always advisable to call the DDU before raising or escalating a concern.

This page was correct at publication on 12/01/2022. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.