What should I do if parents disagree about their child's treatment?

Consent can be given by one person with parental responsibility, although in some circumstances it's appropriate to have both parents' agreement if possible - for example, if you need to carry out multiple extractions under sedation.

Some types of treatment specifically require those who hold parental responsibility to agree. If a dispute cannot be resolved informally, you should seek legal advice about whether to apply for a court ruling.

Our guide to consent and young patients has more information.

This page was correct at publication on 20/04/2022. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.