Can I still ask for assistance if I leave the DDU, retire from practice or go on a break?

Yes. Professional indemnity is provided on an "occurrence basis". This means you can ask for our assistance as long as you were our member at the time of the incident which caused the claim.

This applies even if you are no longer a member, have retired, stopped practicing or are on a break, such as parental leave.

Your estate can even ask for our help after your death.

This is very different to some companies who only provide indemnity on a "claims-made" basis. These schemes only provide cover until the end of the policy year. If a claim is notified after they leave the company, whether that be due to retirement or just changing indemnifier, they won't be indemnified unless they have purchased additional cover, often referred to as "run off" cover.

This page was correct at publication on . Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.